Critical Thinking and Reading allows a learner to build skills that create a solid foundation upon which they can flourish in their higher education and beyond.
Critical reading is a technique for accurately discovering information and ideas within a text.
Critical thinking is a technique for evaluating information and ideas, for deciding what to accept and believe.
Someone with critical thinking skills is able to do the following:
- Understand the logical connections between ideas
- Identify, construct and evaluate arguments
- Detect inconsistencies and common mistakes in reasoning
- Solve problems systematically
- Identify the relevance and importance of ideas
- Reflect on the justification of one’s own beliefs and values